7/22/2004

I May Have Lost My Car, I May Have Found God.

A view From Miller Peak:


A trail from Miller Peak:



Alright, my vacation certainly didn't go as planned. Don't get me wrong the view from Miller Peak is stunning. The trail up to Miller Peak is almost hell; 5 miles of hike-a-bike with a 4000' elevation change reaching a 6400' summit. I remember seeing one peak through a break in the alpines and filled with elation shouting "Yeah, Woo Hoo", revitalized realizing that I was close to reaching the peak.

After spending about an hour on top enjoying my lunch, taking in the views and the awe of it all I decided to head back down. The path that I wanted to take back was via the Iron Bear Trail, which I thought would be 15 miles of mostly downhill. Well about 1 1/2 hrs. of riding on trails (see "A trail from Miller Peak" photo) which if you veered off the trail by a tread length a world of hurt would soon to follow. I decided to head back.

The route back was HELL. First of all I had already consumed my 3 liters of water, secondly it was around 5pm (meaning it was very hot and I had to go back thru the 1 1/2 hrs. of trail riding from hell, then another 1 hour of trail down back to my car!), and finally to add insult to injury (which I thought at the time but would later learn that was going to come at the end of the ride) my legs where starting to go thru some major cramping (Entire parts of both my legs cramping at the same time).

It was on this ride back trough the 1 1/2 hrs. of trail riding from hell that I was starting to have some serious fears. I feared that I would not make it back in time before the sun went down. I feared that I would not have enough stamina to make it back and would have to spend the night without any of my camping gear that I had left in my car! The worst fear of all was that I would get a serious injury and would be up there - all by myself - maybe having to wait days before help would find me!

There I was about 10 miles away from the trailhead, in terrible shape physically and rapidly draining mentally I began to pray to god for strength and safety. Now I know that this may seem really cheesy, for I have not been a very religious person myself. But while I was praying to god for strength and safety I noticed that my energy and confidence was coming back. My legs were cramping less and I wasn't so fearful. Sure, this may all be psychological and for the most part probably was. However, my point is I noticed that whenever it comes down to it for myself and some heavy shit is on the line I always pray to god for help. My epiphany was that deep down, when my belief really matters and is in question, I do believe in god. I feel like that this is really good news for me because now part of my foundation in my beliefs have become solidified.

OK enough with me telling you about my personal experience with god. I told you on my audioblog that your mind goes through a ton of emotions on this ride!

This is what happened when I got my stuff all packed back into my car. As I was driving out of the trailhead my car's oil light goes on! Right after my oil light goes off I start noticing my engine making some knocking noises. I quickly pulled over. I checked the oil dipstick. Empty. I looked under the car for a leak. My oil pan was bleeding oil profusely. I then noticed that there was an oil trail all the way back to the trail head and a trail leading in front of my car. I later found out that my oil pan struck a rock causing a puncture.

Fortunately I had all of my camping gear and tons of food with me so that I could camp out there. I ended up finding a nice campsite next to a trickling stream, which was very pleasant. In the morning I packed up my stuff and saddled up on my bike to find help. Once again I was fortunate. I soon came upon a very nice couple that went by the name, the Nickerson's, that gave me a lift back to their house and let me call a tow company from Cle Elum to come give me a tow.

A couple hours later my car was in tow to the mechanic shop in Cle Elum. After reaching the shop in Cle Elum the mechanic assessed that my engine may need to be rebuilt. So after careful deliberation I had my car towed back here to Seattle. Ouch, that was one expensive tow! Right now my car is back at my mechanic's shop where he is doing further assessment on the damage.

So with all of this, the last couple of days have been intense. I'm glad I have tomorrow off. I think I'll go catch a movie and relax. Also I'm supposed to have dinner with a friend that I haven't seen for awhile....which is always nice.

P.S. Enjoy the pics

2 Comments:

At July 27, 2004 at 8:29 AM, Blogger rasika said...

The photos you have taken are STUNNING! I really love them! Do you hike often?

 
At July 27, 2004 at 10:28 AM, Blogger Lee said...

Thanks Rasika, glad you enjoy my pictures! I do some hiking but mostly mountain biking. I mainly do hiking during the winter months when most of the mountain biking trails are closed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home